Sunday, May 30, 2010

You May Move To Where?

In order to get feedback from others, I have been telling almost everyone I know I am thinking of retiring in Ecuador. The responses I am getting are very interesting. Usually there is a long pause during which friends are mentally trying to figure out exactly where Ecuador IS in the first place.

A common first response is: "I never hear anything about Ecuador." I usually reply by saying"Exactly" meaning that there is little political unrest there or things to worry about such as drug running (as in Columbia), drug-related murders (as in Mexico), weather calamities or other newsworthy events. In short, it appears to be a relatively peaceful place to live.

A second common response is: "Aren't you scared to go so far?" Well, the answer, frankly, is yes, but just a little bit. I am at the place in life where I want another adventure while I am healthy enough to experience it and enjoy it. In the end, it indeed may be too big of an adjustment for us, but I currently feel strongly that I want to give it a try. I had the same feeling some thirty years ago when I moved to California from Northern Minnesota. At that time I was getting "hardening of the thoughts" and felt I needed to expand my horizons, perspectives, and world views. I feel the same way now having lived in California for so long!

We actually have investigated other places to live. specifically Panama which is also rated very highly as a retirement haven. But, real estate and cost of living has risen greatly in the last several years due to the huge influx of gringos into Panama. Also the weather was way too humid there for our tastes.

By far the most frequent response so far..which encourages us....is "Wow: Can we visit you?" Or, "we want to be your neighbor." Not sure what that means: may be code for "we think you are crazy but include us if it works out for you."

Will keep you all posted as we progress in our adventure and more people give us feedback on our plan......
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment